Salted Caramel Apple Pie
- Form two portions Oat Pastry into a ball. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edge into 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim edges even with the rim; set any remaining pastry aside. On a lightly floured surface roll the remaining portion Oat Pastry to a 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 1-inch round cutter, cut out 50 to 60 rounds; set pastry scraps aside. Place rounds on a baking sheet; cover and chill while preparing filling.
- Form remaining pastry scraps into about sixty 1/2-inch balls. Brush the edge of the pastry with water and gently press balls into edge of pie to form a border.
- For filling, place apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle flour mixture over apples; toss to coat. Place about one-third of the apple mixture in pastry-lined pie plate. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons Salted Caramel Sauce over apples. Repeat layers twice more. If desired, sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine egg and whipping cream. Lightly brush edge of pastry with egg mixture. Arrange dough rounds randomly over filling, overlapping shapes slightly and brushing tops of rounds with egg mixture as you go. Once filling is covered, lightly brush entire top of pie with egg mixture. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.* Place pie on middle oven rack. Line a baking sheet with foil; place on bottom rack to catch any drips. Bake for 30 minutes; remove foil from pie. Bake for 20 to 35 minutes more or until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on wire rack or serve warm. Serve with the remaining Salted Caramel Sauce.**
From the Test Kitchen
If necessary, reheat Salted Caramel Sauce before serving. To reheat sauce, place in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with waxed paper. Microwave on 100-percent power (high) for 30 to 60 seconds or just until heated through.
To protect the edge of a pie from overbrowning, fold a 12-inch square of foil into quarters. Cut off 3-1/2 inches from the folded corner; unfold. There will be a 7-inch hole in the center. Loosely mold the foil over the edge of the pie before baking. Or, use purchased pie shields to protect the crust.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, oats, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter, and shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all of the dough is moistened (1/3 to 1/2 cup total). Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry into three portions.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- In a medium saucepan combine caramels; whipping cream; and fleur de sel or sea salt. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is melted and smooth. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Salted Caramel Apple Pie)
- Per serving:
- 642 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 70 mg chol.,
- 683 mg sodium,
- 87 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet