Red, White, and Blue Pie
- For the pastry, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2-inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra dough. Crimp edge. Prick bottom and sides of pastry. Line with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine chocolate and butter. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Add cream cheese and liqueur. Heat and stir until combined. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Spread in baked pastry shell.
- Arrange strawberries and mixed berries on filling, placing strawberries stem ends down. Melt jelly; brush over berries. Cover; chill for 4 hours.
- To serve, let pie stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat whipping cream with the 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and the orange peel until soft peaks form. Spoon or pipe whipped cream into center of pie. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Red, White, and Blue Pie)
- Per serving:
- 250 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 33 mg chol.,
- 182 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet