- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 12 ounces cream cheese (four 3-ounce packages or 1-1/2 8-ounce packages), softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- Pastry for a Single-Crust Deep-Dish Pie
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 3/4 cup broken walnuts
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate-covered toffee pieces or chopped chocolate-covered English toffee bars
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot fudge ice cream topping (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and the 1/3 cup sugar; beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth. Beat in the 1 egg; stir in orange peel. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Deep-Dish Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 13 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9 1/2- to 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge high (photo). Do not prick pastry.For Pumpkin Filling::
3. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, the 3/4 cup sugar, and the 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice. Add the 3 eggs and beat lightly. Gradually beat in half-and-half. Spread cream cheese mixture in pastry-lined pie plate. Carefully spoon pumpkin filling over cream cheese layer. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, toffee pieces, and brown sugar. Remove foil from pie. Sprinkle with walnut mixture.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill pie within 2 hours. If desired, garnish individual servings with hot fudge topping, whipped cream, and additional pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 5 - 6 tablespoons cold water
1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.