Pumpkin Pie with Hazelnut Mousse
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pastry, flouring work surface and rolling pin as needed, to a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9-inch pie tin or plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Place in freezer 10 minutes. Line pastry with foil pie pan (see Blind Baking, below); fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil pie pan. Bake 5 minutes more. Cool on wire rack. (If using rolled refrigerated crust, bake according to package directions.)
- In a saucepan combine pumpkin, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves; cook and stir over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes to integrate flavors. Remove from heat.
- Beat in eggs; add milk, cream, and vanilla. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate to store. Serve with Hazelnut mousse.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure to patch any cracks that develop during rolling.
Trim top rim of foil pie pan at about 2-inch intervals; fold upwards.
- In mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl over when beaters are lifted). In small saucepan combine water and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Cook at a steady boil over medium heat until mixture reaches 240 degrees F (about 5 minutes). Beat egg whites on high speed, slowly pouring in the hot sugar mixture (pour against side of bowl, not in the beaters). When all of sugar mixture is added, continue beating 5 minutes more to cool mixture. In a large bowl whisk together whipping cream and mascarpone cheese; whisk in the Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur, if desired, and hazelnuts. Whisk in cooled egg whites. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
Alan's Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, kosher salt,* and baking powder. With a pastry blender cut in butter leaving chunks the size of peas. Combine water, sour cream, and vinegar. Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture. Quickly stir to distribute; do not overmix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. The finished dough should break, not stretch. Divide into three portions; shape into disks. Use at once or wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. Or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Pie with Hazelnut Mousse)
- Per serving:
- 288 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 89 mg chol.,
- 130 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet