With its rich chocolate sauce, peppermint ice cream, and meringue topping, this pie is the ultimate dessert indulgence.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Freeze: 2 hrs plus 6 hours
- Bake: 10 mins to 12 mins 375/475 degrees F
- Prepare Chocolate Crumb Crust. For fudge sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the 1 cup sugar, the evaporated milk, butter, and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly; reduce heat. Boil gently for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reduced to 1-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. If necessary, beat until smooth with wire whisk or rotary beater. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a chilled bowl, stir 1 pint of the peppermint ice cream until softened (photo 1). Spread over cooled Chocolate Crumb Crust. Place the cooled fudge sauce in a pastry bag fitted with a round tip about 1/4-inch in diameter.** Pipe half of the cooled fudge sauce over ice cream (photo 2). Freeze about 2 hours or until nearly firm. Repeat with the remaining peppermint ice cream and the remaining fudge sauce. Return to freezer while preparing meringue. For meringue:
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the 3/4 cup sugar in the boiling water. Cool to room temperature. Add the meringue powder. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Using a wooden spoon, fold 3 tablespoons of the crushed candy into the meringue. Spread meringue over pie, sealing to edge. Freeze about 6 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until meringue is light brown. Cover loosely with foil. Freeze for 6 to 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed candy before serving. Makes 12 servings.
If you do not have a pastry bag, dollop small spoonfuls of the fudge sauce over the ice cream layer.
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl combine vanilla wafers, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Stir in melted butter. Press crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until crust is firm. Cool in pan on a wire rack.