Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Rim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Food processor directions:
Prepare as above, except place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, shortening, and salt. Cover and process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal, but a few larger pieces remain. With food processor running, quickly add 3 tablespoons water through feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball.
Baked Pastry Shell:
Prepare as above, except generously prick bottom and sides of pastry in pie plate with a fork. Prick all around where bottom and sides meet. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Cool pastry shell. Wrap in foil and place in freezer container or bag. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight before using.
Nutrition Facts (Pastry for Single-Crust Pie)
- Per serving:
- 141 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 67 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet