Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into 12-inch circle.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Food processor directions:
Prepare as above, except place steel blade in processor bowl. Add flour, shortening, and salt. Cover; process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal, but with a few larger pieces. With processor running, quickly add 1/4 cup water through feed tube. Stop processor when all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball. Divide in half. Continue as above.
Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie:
Prepare as above, except trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Fill pastry-lined pie plate with desired filling. Weave strips over filling for lattice crust. Press ends of strips into crust rim. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp edge. For a quick lattice, roll out top pastry. Use a mini-cookie or canape cutter to make cutouts an equal distance apart from pastry center to edge. Place pastry on filling and seal. Bake as directed.
Prepare dough. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in plastic bag; seal. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. Allow to come to room temperature before rolling out for pie.
Nutrition Facts (Pastry for Double-Crust Pie)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 134 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Patience is always the most key of ingredients with pie crusts...
More commentary at http://jennynelson.wordpress.com