Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Torte
This Christmas torte, perfect for entertaining, calls for nuts and graham crackers instead of flour.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Cool: 1 hr
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
- Grease and flour three 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. Process or blend almonds in small batches in a food processor bowl or blender container, covered, until nuts are finely ground but not oily. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in crumbs, baking powder, 1-1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and 3/4 teaspoon orange peel; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and 2/3 cup of the sugar in a small mixer bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 6 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Fold in nuts.
- Wash beaters. Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold 1 cup of the egg white mixture into pumpkin mixture. Fold pumpkin mixture into remaining egg white mixture. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on racks.
- For the filling, in a small bowl beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; beat well. Stir in the dates and applesauce. Set aside. For the whipped cream, in small chilled mixing bowl beat the whipping cream, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel with an electric mixer on medium speed just until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- To assemble torte, split each cake layer in half horizontally. Place bottom of one split layer on a serving plate. Spread with about 2/3 cup of the Apple-Date Filling. Repeat with remaining cake layers and filling, ending with top cake layer. Spoon Sweetened Whipped Cream on top layer. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 4 hours.
Wrap baked cake layers for freezing and freeze up to 3 months ahead. Thaw before using. Prepare Apple-Date Filling, cover, and chill up to 2 days ahead.
- Per serving:
- 433 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 148 mg chol.,
- 184 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet