Mom's Apple Pie
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the sides of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all dough is moistened. Form into a ball.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. For a fluted edge, place your thumb against the inside of the pastry. Press dough around your thumb with the thumb and index finger of your other hand. Press the tines of a fork lightly into the center of each flute. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add apple slices. Gently toss to combine.
- Transfer apple mixture to pastry-line pie plate. For the crumb topping, in a medium bowl stir together brown sugar, 1/2 cups flour,and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter unitl the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1 cup chopped nuts. Sprinkle crumb mixture over apple mixture. Gently pat mixture down over apples.
- Cover entire pie loosely with foil. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes more or until top is brown and apples are tender. Cool on wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except after sprinkling with crumb topping, wrap entire pie tightly in a double thickness of foil. Freeze up to 3 months. To bake frozen pie, remove foil wrapping and place frozen pie on a baking sheet. Cover entire pie loosely with foil. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes more or until top is brown and apples are tender. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Mom's Apple Pie)
- Per serving:
- 521 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 22 mg chol.,
- 201 mg sodium,
- 69 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet