Molasses-Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Prepare Everyday Piecrust. Position one rack in center of oven; place a second rack below. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the filling, in a large bowl stir together molasses, sugar, eggs, bourbon, butter, vanilla, and salt. Evenly spread pecans in unbaked pie shell. Pour filling over pecans.
- Place the pie on center rack of oven, with foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below to catch any filling that bubbles over. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until firm around the edges and slightly loose in the center.
- Cool pie on wire rack for several hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Crust can be made up to 3 days before making pie. Baked pie can be baked, cooled, and refrigerated up to 2 days.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and kosher salt. Using a pastry blender and working quickly to prevent butter from melting into flour, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine ice water, egg, and white distilled vinegar; stir to mix. With a fork, mix egg mixture into flour mixture just until dough clumps together and is moist enough t pat together; do not overmix. If dough is dry and crumbly, add more ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, just until dough comes together. Dough should not be wet or sticky.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, form dough in a ball. Divide dough in half; shape each half in a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- For basic pie shell, let dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough with dusted rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Fold dough in half or gently roll onto rolling pin; lift and transfer to pie tin. Lightly press dough onto bottom and sides of tin. Trim dough to 1 1/2 inches beyond edges of tin. Roll dough under to form a rim; crimp with fingers or tines of fork. Prick bottom crust two or three times with a fork. Wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- To prebake when a recipe calls for a baked or partially baked shell, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line chilled pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and refrigerate pastry up to 3 days. Or freeze pastry up to 3 months. Shells can be baked up to 3 days before filling, then stored, covered, at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Molasses-Bourbon Pecan Pie)
- Per serving:
- 514 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 153 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 40 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.