Alan's Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter leaving pea sized chunks.
- In a 2 cup glass measure whisk water, sour cream, and vinegar; pour, all at once into flour mixture, and quickly distribute. Stop!
- Make sure dough is slightly crumbly. Divide dough mixture into 3 equal portions (about 12 to 13 ounces each) Refrigerate for 2 hours and best overnight (finish by hand). DO NOT OVERMIX- the finished dough should break, not stretch.
- Gently knead in bag to bring dough together. Form into discs.
- Use at once or wrap and store in refrigerator for several days or in freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Alan's Pie Pastry)
- Per serving:
- 1551 kcal cal.,
- 111 g fat
- (69 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 28 g monounsatured fat),
- 289 mg chol.,
- 408 mg sodium,
- 124 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
kkthoma 7 Days Ago
Unbelievable good. Love the sour cream for that bit of fat/sour. This is hands down the best crust I've made. Also, everyone I've fed this pie to has been requesting more.
Patricia Griggs 273 Days Ago
Hands-down the best pie crust I have ever tasted. Follow the directions closely and do not deviate. 1 3/4 cups of butter = 3 sticks plus 1/2 stick :)
Dan Duran 306 Days Ago
It's ridiculous to give quantities this way. What is1 3/4cups butter. And there's a big difference between 1/2 and 1 tsp of salt. It's not 'according to taste', it's a pie crust, should not be salty!
Yarilette Yarilette 636 Days Ago
Ya'll need to be more specific here. I have not made this recipe yet and so far don't know if 3 servings means 3-9" pie crust or 3 personal servings like a miniature pie as directions ask to separate dough into 3 parts? If there's no need to separate is this enough to cover a standard 9" pie pan? Makes me not want to make this considering that information is missing. Do we need to double or triple this recipe to cover a 9" pie? Viewers need more info, thanks
joan_insley 671 Days Ago
RE: Your recipe in 2015 BHG Best Recipes of Season for apple pie. I just want to be sure the directions are to put all ingredients into an UNBAKED pie shell. That won't make it soggy? Looks delicious so I'm making for a big dinner. Thanks.