Mini Holiday Fruit Pies
Recipe Butter Pastry, recipe below
12 ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
cup orange juice
cup golden raisins
cup dried cranberries
egg, lightly beaten
cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping
Sliced kumquats and sage leaves (optional)
- Prepare Butter Pastry.
- In saucepan combine cranberries, orange peel, orange juice, raisins, and dried cranberries; bring to boiling over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, 3 minutes. In bowl combine sugar and flour; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide pastry into 8 portions. On lightly floured surface roll four of the portions into 7-inch circles and four into 6-inch circles. Line four 4-3/8- to 5-inch foil or metal tart pans with the 7-inch circles; trim pastry even with rim.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cranberry filling. Divide remaining cranberry filling among pans. Cut remaining 4 6-inch circles into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave strips over fruit filling in lattice pattern. Press strips into bottom pastry rim. Seal and crimp edge; if desired. Brush with egg and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack at least 1 hour before serving. To serve, stir 1/4 cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping into reserved filling. Use to top pies; add sliced kumquats and sage leaves, if desired. Makes 4 pies, 2 servings per pie.
cup chilled shortening
tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
tablespoons ice water
- In bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Using fork in bowl, cut shortening and butter into 1/2-inch pieces until crumbly. Using fork, stir in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough just starts to form. Knead 2 or 3 times in bowl. Wrap with plastic wrap; chill at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts(Mini Holiday Fruit Pies)
- Per serving:
- 608 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 162 mg chol.,
- 229 mg sodium,
- 73 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet