- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes more or until crust is lightly browned cool. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- In saucepan bring maple syrup to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
- In medium bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated and brown sugar; beat to combine. Beat in reduced syrup and eggs. Fold in walnuts, vanilla, rum, and nutmeg. Pour into prebaked crust.
- Bake pie on baking sheet in lower third of oven 35 minutes or until set around edges; cool. Serve with ice cream. Makes 10 servings.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Nutrition Facts (Maple-Nut Pie)
- Per serving:
- 526 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 82 mg chol.,
- 135 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
How To Video
cneuhaus5 138 Days Ago
2 stars, good but not worth the extra effort of reducing the maple syrup & beating eggs to lemon/thick stage. Using directions with pre-baking crust w/foil results in an over-browned crust once filled & baked. Must use deep-dish pie pan---it overflowed & where it went on the crust it burnt.