Mallow-Praline Sweet Potato Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 45 mins to 50 mins 375°F
- Cool: 1 hr
Mallow-Praline Sweet Potato Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For filling, in a large bowl stir together sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup maple syrup, the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Add eggs; beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually stir in buttermilk until thoroughly combined.
- Place the Baked Pastry Shell on a foil-lined baking sheet on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Gradually stir in brown sugar, the 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and the milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boiling. With pie on the oven rack, sprinkle partially baked pie with pecans and marshmallows. Carefully pour hot brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until center appears set when shaken. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour. Cover and chill within 2 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
To prepare mashed sweet potatoes, in a covered medium saucepan cook about 18 ounces peeled, cubed sweet potatoes in enough boiling salted water to cover for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes. Mash potatoes with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mashed.
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
If desired, make decorative edge. Roll Pastry for Single-Crust Pie from center to edge to a 12-inch square. Using a pastry wheel, cut pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip into 1-1/2-inch lengths. Brush edge of pie with water. Attach strips diagonally around edge of pie.
Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 48 hours.
Baked Pastry Shell
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of pie plate. Crimp edge as desired. With a fork, prick side and bottom of pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Mallow-Praline Sweet Potato Pie)
- Per serving:
- 468 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 104 mg chol.,
- 333 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet