Lime Coconut Chess Pie
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Prepare pastry as directed. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, and flour. Using an electric mixer beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until combined. Beat in butter, lime peel, lime juice, and vanilla until combined.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the coconut over the bottom of the pie crust. Pour filling over coconut in crust. Bake for 45 minutes or until top appears set when lightly shaken. Cool pie on wire rack for 1 hour. Chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, toast the remaining 1/4 cup coconut in a shallow baking pan in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Watch carefully and stir once or twice so coconut doesn't burn. Just before serving, in a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over center of chilled pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons total water). Form dough into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Lime Coconut Chess Pie)
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 196 mg chol.,
- 133 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet