- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 2 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Sanding sugar or granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions. In a large mixing bowl whisk pumpkin, half-and-half, eggs, brown sugar, butter, flour, vanilla, and spices until just combined.
2. Unroll one sheet of pie crust dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll with a floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. Fit dough into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim dough 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Pour filling into pie plate.
3. Unroll remaining sheet of pie crust dough on a lightly floured surface; roll with a floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. With a sharp knife or fluted pastry wheel, cut dough into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Lay one strip across center of pie; lay another strip perpendicular to the first. Lay another strip next to and about 3/4 inch from the first strip. Lay a fourth strip next to and about 3/4 inch from second strip. Repeat with remaining strips to cover pie. Trim edges of lattice strips 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold bottom crust over ends of strips; pinch to seal. Flute as desired. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and the water. Carefully brush egg mixture over edges and top of lattice; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Cover edges with foil to prevent overbrowning.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until filling is set. Remove foil; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours. Makes 8 servings.
- Substitute 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato for the pumpkin and increase half-and-half to 3/4 cup.