Key Lime Tartlets
Macadamia nuts and coconut flakes make a crust for the creamy citrus filling in these tropical dessert tarts.
- Yields: 8 tartlets
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 3 hrs
- Cool: 1 hr
- Prepare Coconut-Macadamia Nut Pastry. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Divide dough into eight portions. On a floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one portion. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 5 inches in diameter. Transfer dough circle to a 4-inch tart pan that has a removable bottom. Press dough into fluted side of tart pan; trim edge. Using a fork, prick bottom and side of dough. Repeat with remaining dough portions. Line each dough shell with a double thickness of foil. Place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry shells are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with a wire whisk or fork. Gradually whisk in sweetened condensed milk. Add lime peel, lime juice, and, if desired, food coloring. Mix well.
- Spoon filling into baked pastry shells. Place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 2 to 3 hours or until completely chilled.
- To serve, remove sides of tart pans. Using a pastry bag fitted with a round tip, pipe Sweetened Whipped Cream onto each slice (or using a spoon, top with whipped cream). Sprinkle with toasted coconut and chopped macadamia nuts. If desired, garnish with mint. Makes 8 tartlets.
Prepare as directed through step 3. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. Remove sides and garnish as directed in step 4.
Persian limes are more commonly available.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea-size. Stir in coconut and macadamia nuts. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead dough just until a ball forms. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- In a chilled small bowl, combine whipping cream and powdered sugar. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on low to medium speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl over).