Key Lime Tart
Key limes are golf-ball size citrus fruits with thin skins and plenty of juice. They add the telltale zing to this easy tart recipe.
Key Lime Tart
- Prepare and roll out Baked Pastry Tart Shell; set aside.
- For filling, in a medium bowl beat egg yolks with a wire whisk or fork. Gradually whisk or stir in sweetened condensed milk; add lime peel, lime juice, and, if desired, food coloring. Mix well (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Spoon thickened filling into Baked Pastry Tart Shell. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill 2 to 3 hours before serving; cover for longer storage.
- To serve, cut tart into wedges. Pipe Sweetened Whipped Cream onto each wedge.
- Makes 8 slices.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Baked Tart Pastry
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total). Form dough into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Key Lime Tart)
- Per serving:
- 330 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 119 mg chol.,
- 141 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet