Hot off the Grill Apricot Pie
- Bring piecrust to room temperature according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine brown sugar, flour, cardamom, and ground chipotle pepper. Add apricots. Gently toss until coated; set aside.* In another bowl combine granola and nuts; set aside.
- Lightly grease disposable pan or lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray; ease crust into pan allowing edges of crust to hang over edges of pan. Spoon apricot mixture to pastry-lined pan. Sprinkle with granola mixture. Fold crust edges over filling.
For a charcoal grill:
- Arrange medium-hot coals around outer edges of grill, leaving as large a space as possible in the center. Place pan on grill rack in the center of the grill so it is not over any coals. Cover and grill for 40 minutes or until piecrust is golden brown, fresh fruit is tender, and filling is bubbly.
For a gas grill:
- Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking according to manufacturer's directions. Place pan on grill rack away from heat. Cover and grill as above. Remove pan from grill and let stand 45 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If mixture with fresh apricots seems dry, let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to pastry-lined pan.
Test Kitchen Tip:
The chili powder gives the pie just a hint of heat to the fruit. The pan size called for is one of the most widely available nationwide, but a half inch either way in the dimensions won't make any difference.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place disposable pan on a baking sheet. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, fresh fruit is tender, and filling is bubbly. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Hot off the Grill Apricot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 304 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 7 mg chol.,
- 141 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 21 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet