Honey Pistachio Tart
- For filling, in a medium saucepan stir together sugar, honey, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until a light caramel color, stirring occasionally. Stir in pistachios, fruit, and orange juice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- For egg pastry, in a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is the size of small peas. In a small bowl beat together egg and the 1/4 cup cold water. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Using a fork, toss until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
- Slightly flatten one ball of egg pastry into a rectangle. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 16x6-inch rectangle. Wrap around a rolling pin. Unroll onto a 13-1/2x4-inch oblong tart pan with a removable bottom. Ease pastry into pan, pressing it up the fluted sides. Trim pastry even with top edge of pan. Spoon filling evenly into crust.
- For top pastry, roll out remaining pastry ball into a 10-inch square. Using a fluted pastry wheel, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave strips randomly across top of filling as desired. Press ends into rim of pan. Brush egg yolk over lattice top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until top is golden. (If parts of crust brown more quickly, cover with foil.) Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides from pan. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Honey Pistachio Tart)
- Per serving:
- 523 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 53 mg chol.,
- 84 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet