Holiday Fruit Pie
A tart-sweet mixture of cranberries and golden raisins fills a buttery pastry.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 30 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 375°F
Holiday Fruit Pie
Recipe Butter Pastry, recipe below
12 ounce bag fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
cup orange juice
cup golden raisins
cup dried cranberries
egg, lightly beaten
- Prepare Butter Pastry.
- In saucepan combine cranberries, orange peel, orange juice, raisins, and dried cranberries; bring to boiling over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, 3 minutes. In bowl combine sugar and flour; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On floured surface, roll one dough portion to 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around the rolling pin. Unroll into 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling. Trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge.
- On floured surface, roll remaining dough to 13-inch circle; cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave strips over fruit filling in lattice pattern. Press strips into bottom pastry rim. Seal and crimp edge, if desired. Brush with egg and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Cover edge with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20 minutes more or until top is nicely browned and filling is bubbly. Let stand at least 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.
cup chilled shortening
tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
tablespoons ice water
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Using fork, cut in shortening and butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces until crumbly. Using fork, stir in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough just starts for form. Knead 2 or 3 times in bowl. Divide in half. Form halves into 2 discs. Wrap with plastic wrap; chill at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Holiday Fruit Pie)
- Per serving:
- 608 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 162 mg chol.,
- 229 mg sodium,
- 73 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet