- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound (4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
1. In a very large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender o two knives, and working quickly so butter remains cool, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Combine egg yolk and ice water; stir to mix. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until dough clumps together and is moist enough to pat together; do not overmix. If dough is dry and crumbly, add more water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, just until dough comes together. Dough should not be wet or sticky.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, with lightly floured hands, form in a ball. Divide dough in four portions; form each in a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.