- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 20 mins
- Grill: 31 mins to 38 mins
Grilled Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp
cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1-1/2 lb.)
cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb (about 1 lb.)
cup granulated sugar
teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
cup coarsely crushed shortbread cookies (about 12 cookies)
tablespoons packed brown sugar
Whipped cream (optional)
- In a large bowl combine strawberries, rhubarb, granulated sugar, quick-cooking tapioca, and salt. (If using frozen fruit, let mixture stand for 40 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy.) In a 2-quart disposable foil pan place the fruit mixture. Cover pan tightly with foil.
- For topping, in a small bowl combine crushed shortbread cookies, flour, and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat over center of grill. Place foil pan on rack in the center of grill. Cover; grill for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly on edges. Uncover pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit mixture in foil pan. Cover grill; cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until mixture is bubbly and fruit has thickened. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place foil pan on grill rack over burner that is unlit. Grill as above.) Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through step 2 except you may substitute a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover fruit mixture and bake 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with topper. Bake 6 to 8 minutes more. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp)
- Per serving:
- 269 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 147 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 38 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet