Green Apple Strudel with Vanilla-Basil Sauce
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine apple juice, wine, stick cinnamon, vanilla bean, and star anise. Stir in apples and raisins. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl stir together brown sugar and cornstarch; stir into apple mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Remove and discard stick cinnamon, vanilla bean, and star anise. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside. For topping, in a small bowl combine hazelnuts and granulated sugar; set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface. (As you work, cover the remaining phyllo dough with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Lightly brush the phyllo sheet with some of the melted butter; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the topping. Repeat with two more phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with topping. Top with another phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Spoon half of the filling (about 2/3 cup) over phyllo stack, spreading to within 1 1/2 inches of edge. Fold in short sides. Starting from a long side, roll up phyllo to enclose filling. Place, seam side down, in prepared baking pan. Brush top with melted butter. Score top diagonally, making cuts 1 inch apart and about 1/4 inch deep. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, butter, topping, and filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut each strudel diagonally into four portions. Serve warm with Vanilla-Basil Sauce.
- In a small saucepan combine whipping cream, honey, oil, and vanilla. Bring just to boiling over medium-low heat. In a small bowl combine milk and cornstarch; stir into cream mixture. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with basil.