Serve this fruity dessert with sweetened whipped cream topped with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. For filling, in a large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, and sage; stir in grapes and port wine.
- Transfer the filling to the pastry-lined pie plate. Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on the filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Place pie on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine egg white and water. Brush top of pie with egg white mixture. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes; remove foil. Bake 30 to 35 minutes more or until top of pastry is golden brown and filling bubbles through slits in crust. Remove from oven; cool at least 6 hours. Pie can be baked up to 24 hours ahead. Loosely cover and store at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Food Processor Directions:
Place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, salt, and shortening. Cover; process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal but a few larger pieces remain. With processor running, quickly add 6 tablespoons water through feed tube. Stop processor when all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with two on/off turns. Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball. Divide in half. Continue as directed above.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened (about 8 to 10 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with the rim of the pie plate. Fill pie and continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Grape Pie)
- Per serving:
- 453 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 235 mg sodium,
- 69 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet