Grape & Pear Pie
recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie or 2 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrusts
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
cups seedless red or black grapes, left whole
medium red pears, cored and sliced (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double Crust Pie. For filling, in a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, melted butter and orange peel. Stir in grapes and pears.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate. Transfer the filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Roll remaining dough ball into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on the filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Place pie on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine egg white and water. Brush top of pie with egg white mixture. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 35 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes more or until top of pastry is golden brown and you see steam escaping from slits in crust. Remove from oven and cool at least 6 hours. Pie can be baked up to 24 hours ahead. Loosely cover and store refrigerated. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened (about 8 to 10 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with the rim of the pie plate. Fill pie and continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts(Grape & Pear Pie)
- Per serving:
- 411 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 250 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet