Grape and Pear Pie
Filled with juicy fall fruit, this exquisite pie makes an ideal gift or potluck party dessert.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 6 hrs
- Bake: 1 hr 10 mins 375°F
Grape and Pear Pie
recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie, recipe below, or 2 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrusts
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
cups seedless red or black grapes
medium red pears, cored and sliced (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double Crust Pie. For filling, in a large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, melted butter, and orange peel. Add grapes and pears; toss.
- On lightly floured surface, slightly flatten 1 ball of pastry. Roll dough from center to edges into 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin; unroll in 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch. Trim even with rim of pie plate. Pour filling into pastry. Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Place on baking sheet.
- In small bowl combine egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush top of pie with egg white mixture. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake 35 minutes; remove foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes more or until top of pastry is golden and steam is escaping from slits in top crust. Remove from oven. Cool 6 hours. Store, loosely covered, in refrigerator up to 24 hours. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Fill as above. roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Continue as above.
Nutrition Facts (Grape and Pear Pie)
- Per serving:
- 411 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 250 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet