- Yields: 8 slices
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 3 hrs to 6 hrs
- Bake: 30 mins 325°F
Fudge Cream Pie
Nonstick cooking spray
cups finely crushed chocolate wafer cookies (about 25 cookies)
cup butter, melted
cups half-and-half or light cream
ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together crushed cookies and the melted butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Chill about 1 hour or until firm.
- Separate eggs. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and beat lightly; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Gradually stir in half-and-half and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Add yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1 tablespoon butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla. Keep filling warm.
- For meringue, add cream of tartar and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks (tips stand straight) and sugar dissolves.
- Pour warm filling into prepared piecrust. Spread meringue over warm filling, sealing to edge of crust. Lightly sprinkle cocoa powder over the meringue. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 60 minutes. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage.
Nutrition Facts (Fudge Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 511 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 158 mg chol.,
- 242 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 44 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet