Fresh Strawberry Pie
recipe Baked Pastry Shell (see recipe below)
cups medium fresh strawberries
Several drops red food coloring (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell and set aside. Meanwhile remove stems from strawberries. Cut any large strawberries in half lengthwise; set aside.
- For glaze, in a blender or food processor combine 1 cup of the strawberries and 2/3 cup water. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough additional water to the mixture to equal 1-1/2 cups. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in blended strawberry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, stir in red food coloring. Remove from heat; cool for 10 minutes. (Do not stir.)
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the glaze over bottom and sides of Baked Pastry Shell. Arrange half of the remaining strawberries, stem ends down, in the pastry shell.
- Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over berries, making sure all berries are covered. Arrange remaining berries over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over berries, covering each. Chill for 1 to 2 hours. (After 2 hours, filling may begin to water out.) If desired, top with whipped cream.
- Makes 8 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Fresh Peach Pie:
Prepare as above, except substitute 6 cups sliced, peeled peaches for the strawberries and omit the food coloring.
Baked Pastry Shell
tablespoons cold water
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Moisten dough with water, adding 1 tablespoon at a time and tossing with a fork. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge. Prick bottom and side of pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts(Fresh Strawberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 253 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 75 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 24 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet