Fresh Pear and Cranberry Pie
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (below). Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Arrange half of pears in prepared pastry; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cranberries. Arrange remaining pears atop cranberries. In bowl stir together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, cider, and nutmeg; drizzle evenly over pears. Cover pie with foil.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes more or until pears are tender and juices are bubbly. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine remaining cranberries and 2 tablespoons caramel topping. Bring to boiling. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Spoon over hot pie.
- Serve warm. Drizzle with additional caramel topping. Make 8 servings.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- In bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into ball. On floured surface flatten with hands. Roll dough from center to edges into a 13-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap around rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Ease pastry into plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Pear and Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 357 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 93 mg sodium,
- 59 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet