Festive Cranberry-Apricot Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare and roll out Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry edge. Crimp edge.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, the 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and the salt. Stir in apricots and cranberries. Spoon fruit mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slit in pastry. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pasty under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. In a small bowl combine egg white and milk; brush crust with egg white mixture. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie lightly with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 15 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Add additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all is moistened. Divide dough in half; form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry as directed. Add filling and roll out remaining dough as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Festive Cranberry-Apricot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 394 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 10 mg chol.,
- 285 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet