Easy Fruit Pocket Pies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash berries and spread to dry on paper towels. Meanwhile, stir together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- For each pie, spoon 1 tablespoon of Smashed Apple Jam in the center of a bread slice. Top with 3 to 4 berries and another slice of bread. Gently press the top slice around the fruit. Trim crusts from bread using a serrated knife.
- Using a fork, press the edges of the bread together to seal in the filling. Lightly brush the top slice of bread with some of the oil. Pick up each pie and, while holding in your hand, lightly brush the opposite side with oil. Place pies on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake pies for 18 to 20 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and bottoms are browned. Transfer to a cooling rack. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Select soft whole grain bread for these pies, and use the bread directly from the wrapper. The moistness of fresh bread works to seal the fruit inside.
You will know when the pies are done when the bottoms are evenly toasted. To check for browning, use a spatula to lift the pies and peek at the undersides.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place apples and water in a 4 or 5-quart heavy-bottom pan over medium heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, until very tender. Remove from heat. Mash apples with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender. Return to heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until the jam thickens and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Transfer to a covered container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts(Easy Fruit Pocket Pies)
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 251 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet