Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Deep-Dish Cranberry Pie
- In a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup water and the brandy. Heat until mixture starts to simmer; add cherries. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare pastry. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to a 13-inch circle if using a 1-1/2-quart oven-safe bowl or an 18x14-inch oval or rectangle if using a 2-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. Gently fit pastry into bottom and up sides of the bowl or dish letting excess pastry extend beyond edges of dish; fold pastry into pleats as needed to fit dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together cranberries, undrained cherry mixture, granulated sugar, flour, and lemon peel. Turn into pastry-lined dish. Roll out remaining half of pastry to a 10-inch circle or a 14x10-inch oval or rectangle. Cut a circle or oval in the center of the oval or rectangle or use a cookie cutter to cut a decorative design. Place pastry over filling, allowing pastry to hang over the edge of the dish. Press top and bottom pastry together to seal. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place dish on a baking sheet.
- Cover edges of pie with foil. Bake for 55 minutes for bowl or 45 minutes for oval or rectangle; remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until juices bubble and pastry is light brown. Cool on wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- Stir together sour cream, honey and enough cream or milk to make desired consistency. Cover and chill until serving time. Serve pie warm or cool with sour cream sauce. Break off pastry overhang and serve.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings
- Recipe may be doubled if two pies are desired.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all-purpose flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are pea sized. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all of the flour is moistened. Divide dough in half. Shape into two balls.
Nutrition Facts (Deep-Dish Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 689 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 237 mg sodium,
- 111 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 44 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet