- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine the 1 cup flour and granulated sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheddar cheese, egg yolk, and ice water. Mix just until combined. Form dough into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap dough in clear plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon. Add apples and lemon peel, tossing to coat. Transfer to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate, a 10-inch pie plate, or a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
3. On a lightly floured surface roll chilled pastry into a circle 1 inch larger than the top of pie plate or casserole. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry atop apple mixture. Seal and flute edges to rim of pie plate. Cover edges of pie with foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until crust is golden and apple mixture is bubbly. Serve warm or cool. If desired, serve with ice cream or frozen yogurt. Makes 8 servings.
- Prepare pastry but do not roll it out. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in plastic bag. Seal and chill up to 24 hours. Allow pastry to come to room temperature before using.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 305,
- Fat, total (g) 15,
- chol. (mg) 34,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 40,
- pro. (g) 5,
- sodium (mg) 152,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet