Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare and roll out pastry portion on a lightly floured surface to a circle about 12-inches in diameter*. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie tin or plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edge under. Place in freezer for 10 minutes. Line unpricked pastry with an 8-3/4-inch foil pie pan**; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil pie tin. Bake 5 minutes more. (Or if using rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust, bake pie crust according to package directions for one crust pie.) Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle chocolate in bottom of pastry; set aside. In a large bowl beat eggs and vanilla; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, flour, salt and pecans. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a full boil; boil 15 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Quickly beat about 1 cup hot pecan mixture into eggs. Beat in remaining pecan mixture (work quickly to avoid cooking eggs). Pour over chocolate in crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes, tenting with foil after 35 minutes to prevent over browning, until edges are puffed and center appears set when gently shaken.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill remaining pie.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure to patch any cracks that develop during rolling.
Trim top rim of foil pie pan at about 2 inch intervals; fold upwards.
Nutrition Facts (Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie)
- Per serving:
- 536 kcal cal.,
- 38 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 117 mg chol.,
- 134 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet