Dark Chocolate Flan
ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
teaspoon ground cinnamon
Edible gold leaf** (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a heavy 10-inch skillet, cook the 1/2 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to melt evenly. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes more or until all sugar is melted and golden brown, stirring with a wooden spoon. Immediately pour into a 9x2-inch round cake pan;* tilt to coat bottom. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a heavy large saucepan, heat and stir chocolate over low heat until melted. Gradually whisk in milk; heat and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove saucepan from heat; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk the warm chocolate mixture, the 3/4 cup sugar, and the cinnamon into eggs. Place cake pan in a large shallow roasting pan on oven rack. Pour chocolate mixture into cake pan. Pour boiling water into roasting pan around cake pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- To unmold, loosen edge with knife, slipping point down side of pan to let in air. Invert a serving plate over pan; turn pan and plate over together. Remove pan. If desired, garnish with edible gold leaf.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Be sure to use a 9x2-inch round cake pan. A pan with a 1-1/2-inch side will not hold all of the egg mixture.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
Look for edible gold leaf at food specialty shops.