- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until set and dry. Remove crust from oven; reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a mixing bowl slightly beat eggs with a rotary beater or fork. Stir in sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Gradually stir in half-and-half until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Place the partially baked pastry shell on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into the pastry shell.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm (cool on wire rack for 1 hour) or chilled (refrigerate within 2 hours). Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
- Makes 8 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Coconut Custard Pie:
Prepare as above, except stir in 1/2 cup toasted coconut with the half-and-half.
Per wedge: 340 cal., 21 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 128 mg chol., 188 mg sodium, 32 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 7 g pro.
Daily Values: 8% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 8% calcium, 7% iron
Exchanges: 2 Other Carbo., 4 Fat
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Nutrition Facts (Custard Pie)
- Per serving:
- 305 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 128 mg chol.,
- 166 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 12 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet