Creamy Pumpkin Strudels
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface. (As you work, keep the remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Lightly brush sheet with some of the melted butter. Top with a second sheet of phyllo and lightly brush with melted butter. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the brushed phyllo. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the pecans.
- Cut the two layered sheets of phyllo lengthwise to create two long strips. Place a slice of cream cheese about 2 inches from end of each dough strip. Spoon about one tablespoon of pumpkin mixture on top of the cream cheese.
- To shape, fold bottom edge of phyllo up and over the filling. Fold in sides and roll up to encase filling. Place on prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with some of the melted butter. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve warm with whipped cream. If desired, use a small pumpkin-shaped cutter to cut a pumpkin shape out of the top crust. Makes 14 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool strudels on a wire rack. Reheat within 2 hours or place cooled strudels in a covered container. Chill overnight. To reheat room temperature strudels, place strudels on a baking sheet lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes or until center is warm. Reheat chilled strudels using the same method but heat in a 400 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts(Creamy Pumpkin Strudels)
- Per serving:
- 391 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 50 mg chol.,
- 359 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 26 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet