This pie recipe is brusting with the fruity fall flavors of tart cranberries and sweet cherries. Its beautiful ruby color makes this pie an excellent addition to your holiday dessert menu.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 55 mins 375°F
- Stand: 15 mins
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons finely snipped crystallized ginger
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
cups fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
- In large bowl, stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, crystallized ginger, and orange peel. Add cherries and cranberries; toss gently to coat. If using fresh cherries, let stand about 15 minutes or until syrup forms, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen cherries, let stand about 45 minutes or until cherries are partially thawed but still icy.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Transfer half of the pastry to 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. For twisted lattice top:
- Cut remaining rolled-out pastry into 3/4-inch strips. Twist strips and weave over filling in lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over ends of strips; crimp edge. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 30 minutes (or 50 minutes if using frozen fruit). Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly 2 inches from edge and pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
tablespoons cold water
- In large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water at a time over mixture, gently tossing with a fork until all is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball. For bottom pastry roll half of the dough into 13-inch circle.