Chocolate Pecan Pie with Kahlua
recipe Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
cup semisweet chocolate pieces
eggs, lightly beaten
cup light-color corn syrup
cup packed brown sugar
cup butter, melted
cup coffee liqueur
cup chopped pecans, toasted
Coffee Whipped Cream (see recipe below) (optional)
cup semisweet chocolate pieces, melted
Pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Sprinkle with the 3/4 cup chocolate pieces.
- For filling, in a medium bowl, combine eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, coffee liqueur, flour, and vanilla. Stir in the 1 cup chopped pecans. Slowly pour filling over chocolate pieces in crust, spreading evenly.
- Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 10 minutes more or until edge is puffed and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours.
- If desired, prepare Coffee Whipped Cream before serving. Garnish pie with the melted chocolate and the pecan halves. Spoon the whipped cream on top of each serving (if using). Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Single-crust Pie
tablespoons cold water
- In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat with additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time (4 to 5 tablespoons total), until all is moistened. Shape into a ball.
Coffee Whipped Cream
cup whipping cream
tablespoon coffee liqueur
- In a small bowl, combine whipping cream and coffee liqueur. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).