Chocolate Nut Pie with Brandied Cherries
- In small bowl combine dried cherries and brandy. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of the brandy.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate.
- In medium bowl whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Stir in walnuts, flour and 2 ounces of the chopped chocolate just until combined. Stir in drained cherries and the 1 tablespoon reserved brandy. Spoon filling into crust-lined pie plate. Bake for 65 minutes, loosely covering the pie with foil the last 30 minutes of baking. Sprinkle with remaining chopped chocolate. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, top with Sweetened Whipped Cream. Makes 10 servings.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In chilled large mixing bowl beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Makes about 2 cups.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time until all the flour is moistened. Form pastry into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not pick pastry.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Nut Pie with Brandied Cherries)
- Per serving:
- 507 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 80 mg chol.,
- 155 mg sodium,
- 63 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet