- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cool: 30 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 350°F
Chocolate Chunk and Caramel Pecan Pie
cup light-color corn syrup
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
cup whipping cream
cups pecan halves
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
eggs, lightly beaten
ounces dark, bittersweet, or semisweet chocolate, chopped
Whipped cream (optional)
- For caramel sauce, in a medium heavy saucepan, heat butter over low heat until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, the water, and salt. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 3/4 cups, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Carefully whisk in cream and vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pecans in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Remove from oven.
- Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired.
- For filling, transfer 1-1/4 cups of the caramel sauce to a large bowl. Stir in eggs until combined. Stir in pecans and chocolate. Pour filling into pastry shell. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until filling sets. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, reheat the remaining caramel sauce over low heat. Spoon warm sauce over pie. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
If you have any leftover caramel sauce, transfer to an airtight container, cover, and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To serve, heat over low heat until warm. Serve over ice cream or desserts.
Pastry for Single Crust Pie
cups all-purpose flour
cup butter, cut up, or shortening
cup ice water
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.