Chipotle-Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add 1 egg; beat on low speed until combined. Pour mixture into pastry shell, spreading evenly. Spread cranberry sauce over cream cheese layer.
- In another medium bowl, combine 2 eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, chipotle pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Carefully pour over layers in pie plate.
- Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter, cut up, or shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.