Place this vivid, fruit filled pie on the Thanksgiving dessert buffet as a contrast to pumpkin pie.
- For filling, in a large bowl, stir together the 1-1/4 cups sugar, the cornstarch, nutmeg, and cloves. Add cherries and cranberries. Gently toss until coated. If using fresh cherries, let stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen cherries, let mixture stand about 45 minutes or until cherries are partially thawed but still icy.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pastry as directed; line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry circle. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Weave pastry strips over filling in a lattice pattern. Press strip ends into bottom pastry edge. Fold bottom pastry edge over strip ends; seal and crimp edge.
- If desired, use a sharp knife to cut out leaf shapes or other decorative designs from pastry trimmings. Brush lattice with milk and press on decorative cut outs. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. To prevent overbrowning, cover pie edge with foil. Bake pie for 30 minutes (or 50 minutes if using frozen fruit). Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly 2 inches from edge and pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Using a total of 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of mixture. Toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl; repeat, until all is moistened. Divide in half; form each half into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry-Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 2235 kcal cal.,
- 139 g fat
- (35 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 1074 mg sodium,
- 222 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet