Caramel Apple Pie
The topping of oats, oat, brown sugar, and pecans, drizzled with caramel, adds decadence to America's popular pie.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 50 mins 375°F
Caramel Apple Pie
- For the pastry, in a bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all dough is moistened. Prepare using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball; set aside.
- For the crumb topping, stir together brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and oats. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, 3 tablespoons flour cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
- To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Remove from oven; sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Apple Pie)
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 31 mg chol.,
- 260 mg sodium,
- 81 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet