Upload your photo here.
Browned Butter Toffee Tartlets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat twenty-four 1-3/4-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cover with plastic wrap. (As you work, keep the phyllo covered to prevent it from drying out, removing sheets as you need them.) Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface; brush with some of the melted butter. Top with second sheet of phyllo. Repeat brushing and layering two more times (4 sheets total.) Brush top with melted butter. Trim edges to form a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut phyllo stack into eight 3x4-inch squares. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and butter to make 24 squares total. Press squares into prepared muffin cups.
- For filling, in a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Whisk browned butter into egg mixture.
- Spoon filling into tartlet shells. Sprinkle evenly with 3/4 cup toffee pieces. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes in pans; remove carefully and cool completely on wire rack.
- If desired, in a small saucepan, heat and stir chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate into a small resealable plastic bag. Seal bag, snip off a small corner of the bag. Pipe chocolate over tarts and top with chopped chocolate-covered toffee bars. Let stand until set. Makes 24 tartlets.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer tarts between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen, at room temperature for 1 hour.
Save a step:
Omit the phyllo dough and melted butter. Place 30 baked miniature phyllo dough shells (2, 1.9-ounce packages) on a cookie sheet. Fill with egg mixture and toffee pieces and bake as above. Makes 30 tartlets.