Blueberry Ice Cream Pie
Ingredients Almond-Brown Sugar CrustBlueberry SauceAssemble and Serve
cups slivered almonds
tablespoons packed light brown sugar
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
cups blueberries, rinsed, well drained, and carefully picked over for damaged berries
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon grated lemon zest
teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
A few gratings of nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp.)
homemade or purchased vanilla ice cream
cup of the Blueberry Sauce, chilled
cup creme fraiche or sour cream
cup heavy cream
cups fresh blueberries, rinsed, picked over, and well dried on paper towel-lined baking sheets
Remaining Blueberry Sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In bowl of food processor fitted with a steel blade combine almonds, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse until coarsely ground. Transfer to bowl and stir in melted butter. Turn into 9-inch pie plate. With fingers press onto bottom and sides to form a firm, even layer.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes until lightly golden. "Don't overbrown or the crust will have an overpowering flavor," Scott says. Allow to completely cool on a rack. Transfer to freezer until ready to use (may be made up to a week in advance and frozen, tightly wrapped).
- In large, wide, nonreactive skillet combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and salt, stirring well with a spoon to distribute the sugar and cornstarch. Add zest, lemon juice, water, and a few gratings of fresh nutmeg; stir again to blend.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until blueberries begin to pop, give off juice, and come to a full simmer. Simmer, stirring gently for 1 additional minute until sauce is lightly thickened and cornstarch is well cooked.
- Set aside to cool; refrigerate sauce until completely chilled before proceeding. "Otherwise you'll wind up with a blueberry milk shake," Scott says.
- Transfer ice cream to a mixing bowl and let stand in the refrigerator 30 minutes or until just softened.
- Spoon half into prepared crust. Spread in even layer and top with the chilled blueberry sauce. Spoon on remaining ice cream and spread to edges.
- Cover surface of ice cream with plastic wrap and freeze at least 8 hours or overnight until firmly set.
- In chilled mixing bowl, whisk creme fraiche, heavy cream, and sugar until just thickened to spreading consistency. Do not overbeat. "It is very easy to go from smooth to grainy," Scott says. Spread cream mixture over pie; top with blueberries. Serve with heated sauce on the side. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Blueberry Ice Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 363 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 53 mg chol.,
- 200 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet