Best-Ever Pumpkin Pie
recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see below)
egg white, slightly beaten
cups canned pumpkin (about 1-1/3 15-ounce cans)
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground nutmeg
eggs, slightly beaten
cup half-and-half or light cream
Light-colored corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll one dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 1-inch leaf-shaped cutters, cut dough into leaf shapes (will have about 6 to 7 dozen). Use the tip of a sharp paring knife to create vein designs on the leaves. Place leaf shapes on a baking sheet. In a small bowl beat together the egg white and water; brush over leaf cutouts. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface roll remaining dough half into a 12-inch circle with a floured rolling pin. Transfer the pastry circle to a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit the pastry into the pie plate without stretching it; trim even with plates rim. Set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually add half-and-half; stir until combined. Pour filling into prepared pastry shell.
- To prevent overbrowning, loosely cover edge of the pastry shell with foil. Carefully transfer pie to oven rack. Bake in the 375 degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 to 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
- Up to 1 hour before serving, lightly brush edge of pastry with corn syrup and arrange a garland of baked pastry leaves around the edge of the pastry. Decorate center of pie with additional leaves. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
tablespoons cold water
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. Using 8 to 10 tablespoons total cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened.