Berry Fruit Pie
- Prepare and roll out pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar and flour for desired berries, according to the amounts given below. Stir in berries and lemon peel or cinnamon. Gently toss berries until coated. (If using frozen fruit, let mixture stand for 45 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed, but still icy.)
- Transfer berry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Trim bottom pastry edge of pie plate. Cut slits in remaining pastry; place on filling and seal. Crimp edge as desired.
- If desired, brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes (or 50 minutes for frozen fruit). Remove foil. Bake pie for 25 to 30 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and top is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
5 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, 2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups halved fresh strawberries or whole unsweetened frozen strawberries, 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries or raspberries, 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Lattice Berry Fruit Pie:
Prepare as above except follow directions for Lattice-Top pie.
Nutrition Facts (Berry Fruit Pie)
- Per serving:
- 373 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 222 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 18 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.