Banana Butterscotch Cream Pie
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs to 24 hrs
- Freeze: 10 mins
Banana Butterscotch Cream Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pastry portion on a floured surface to a circle about 12-inches in diameter*. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie tin or plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Place in freezer for 10 minutes. Line pastry with an 8-3/4-inch foil pie pan**; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil pie tin. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack. (Or bake refrigerated piecrust according to package directions.)
- Combine gelatin and cold water in a 6-ounce custard cup; set aside to soften.
- In a small saucepan combine butter and 1 cup brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until it has changed to a slightly dark brown color and smells almost burnt (about 10 to 12 minutes). Immediately add whipping cream (mixture may sputter). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In another saucepan heat milk just until bubbly on edges; remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Whisk in egg yolks, egg and vanilla. Whisk until fluffy (about 1 minute). Gradually stir hot milk into egg mixture. Add brown sugar mixture. Return mixture to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in softened gelatin.
- Peel bananas and slice 1/2 inch thick; fold into custard mixture. Pour into baked pie crust. Take a piece of plastic wrap and cover directly the top of pie. Cool slightly. Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap. Place melted chocolates into two small self-sealing plastic bags. Snip a corner of each bag and drizzle chocolates atop pie. Serve within 2 days.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure to patch any cracks that develop during rolling.
Trim top rim of foil pie pan at about 2 inch intervals; fold upwards.
Alans Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt,* and baking powder. With a pastry blender cut in butter leaving chunks the size of peas. Combine water, sour cream, and vinegar. Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture. Quickly stir to distribute; do not overmix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. The finished dough should break, not stretch. Divide into three portions; shape into disks. Use at once or wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. Or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Banana Butterscotch Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 572 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 163 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 68 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 46 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet